Monday, December 8, 2008

Tuesday Sistine chapel & Vatican


It was a little drizzly today, but not like it dumped yesterday. Today was the Sistine Chapel and Vatican museums. We didn't even begin to dent all the stuff in the vatican museums. I think we only saw about a 3rd of what was there...Everything from Egyptian mummies to modern paintings. The Sistine chapel was actually smaller than I expected. Unfortunately, this was a tough day for me...too much visual stuff led me to a clear recollection of what it was like to have head injury symptoms...oh well. I was really tired by the time we got to the Sistine Chapel and there is simply nowhere to look that isn't busy in that room. The floor is mosaic tiles, the walls and ceilings are all filled with paintings and there are tons of people wandering around. Fortunately we are here in the off season, so the room was not as crowded as it could have been. I got to sit on a bench against the wall while I looked at the ceiling. All that whining being said, it really was an awazing sight to see. We didn't take our cameras (sorry, no pictures) because we got mixed information about whether they would let us take photos. Turns our we could have, but I'm glad we didn't...I don't think I would have made it trying to do that on top of it all. I bought a nice book that describes information about the stuff too and the pictures are better than I could have taken (for only 10 bucks). I made my first major splurge of the trip today for my souvenir. Sunday when we were at Vatican city I have seen a Joseph, Mary and Jesus "nativity" of jesus as a toddler which I just loved. It was handcarved wood and so it was expensive...I walked away from it Sunday and thought about it for the next two days. I decided that was a sign that I probably would regret it if I didn't make that one of my souvenirs, so I bought it today. I just love it! We had gelati (italian ice cream) outside vatican city this afternoon...it was yummy. We went to dinner tonight at a place near our hotel. The sit you at tables so close to each other that you can't have a private conversation. We ended up sharing the evening and some fun conversation with a couple from UK. Now it's 11pm and time to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment